Monday 17 September 2007

Organic pork sausages, ratatouille and creamy polenta

Every time when I am away for a few days I return to a skinnier than ever boyfriend. Seriously, I wonder what he does live on in my absence. He can't cook and is a lousy shopper. Chewy bread, cheese, crisps, baked beans and beer, that's all he would buy and eat.
Now, don't get me wrong, I would get really fat if I lived on such a diet for days, if not weeks. He doesn't. It's NOT fair!

But that's the whole trouble I have to face in my day-to-day cooking: come up with a dinner that makes him fatter and me thinner. Dishes like organic sausages with ratatouille and creamy polenta are the perfect exampe of how I master this challenge: Organic pork sausages, ratatouille and creamy polenta: 3 organic pork sausages (at least 80% meat), fried
: 2 courgettes, chopped
: 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
: 1 large onion, chopped
: 2 tbsp organic tomato puree
: 1/2 cup polenta
: 1/2 cup single cream
: olive oil
: salt
: black pepper

Heat a little olive oil in a pan and fry the onions for 2 minutes before adding the yellow peppers and courgettes. Stir fry the vegetables until slightly soft, then add the tomato puree and approx 150-200ml water. Season with salt and pepper, then cover with a lid and let simmer.

In the meantime, prepare the polenta. Place the polenta in a pot an cover with approx 150ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer until all the liquid has been soaked up, then transfer 1/3 of the polenta to a different pot. Again, cover with water and let simmer until the soft. Season with salt and pepper.
For the remaining 2/3 of the polenta, follow as above but this time use cream instead of water.

When the food is ready to be served, transfer the creamy polenta on to your boyfriend's plate and the not-so-delicious-but-not-as-fattening-either polenta on to your plate. Now divide the ratatouille between your plates and drizzle some virgin olive oil over his portion. Finish off your plate with 1/2 a sausage. The rest goes on his plate. Well, as I said earlier: it's not fair.

No comments: