Sunday 12 August 2007

Beetroot with horseradish zabaglione

When I wake up with a headache in the morning it is very likely that I had a glass too many the night before. And most likely also a few calories too many. I only ever drink when there is food involved. So while the normal hung-over person would indulge on a proper fry-up, I have to make sure that the three course meal from the night before will not stay on my hips forever. Diet food for me then. I had four egg yolks from the cake I made the day before in my fridge and some beetroot. Not easy to play Ready Steady Cook here if that's more or less all your fridge has to offer. However, I remembered the horseradish in my freezer (I love horseradish) and had came up with the idea of a horseradish zabaglione. Maybe not the lightest of all dishes, but if not combined with anything else then beetroot it makes in an acceptable dish for those emergency diet days. Beetroot with horseradish zabaglione, for 2
: 6-7 fresh beetroots
: 4 egg yolks
: 100ml milk
: freshly grated horseradish
: olive oil
: white wine vinegar
: Maldon sea salt

Wash the beetroot (leave the skin on!), brush them with a little olive oil and cook in a hot oven for about an hour. Let them cool.
To make the zabaglione, whisk together the egg yolks and milk in a bowl over simmering water until the mixture thickens (approx 10 mins). Add the horseradish and season with salt.
Peel and slice the lukewarm beetroot and arrange on a plate. Drizzle over some olive oil and vinegar and pour over some of the zabaglione.

No comments: