Monday 29 September 2008

Red velvet cake

This isn't actually a recipe, it's more an homage at a cake. Having said that, it's more about the look than the actual taste.
When I went to New York, I stayed with friends in Greenwich Village. It was the perfect location in an otherwise imperfect city. I didn't enjoy New York per se much, but Greenwich Village with all its continental bakeries, eateries and Marc Jacobs outlets was different. Bleaker Street was my favourite. Not only because that's where out apartment was, but that's where almost everything else was as well. Especially all the nice bakeries and cake shops.
On cake shop in particular caught my attention. I cannot remember its name, but the long queue outside this little shop. Long queues always look promising,
so I expected a lot when I joined it to get a taste of the famous red velvet cake.It was ok. As ok as if Betty Crocker herself made it.
So I couldn't help but wonder: did they really just use a white cake mix and spike it with some colouring?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never actually tried red velvet cake before and I've only heard about it through American blogs! What does it taste like? I would imagine it's a normal cake taste, with food colouring or something?

It certainly LOOKS interesting!

NuNuZa said...

I recently made red velvet cupcakes and they taste almost like a really good chocolate cake...the recipe I sed called for use of cocoa as well as red food colouring...

a LOT of preparation and mixing but SOO worth it in the end! Will be posting my pics sometime this week!