Thursday 17 May 2007

The unloved one...

Even I have my dislikes when it comes to food. Celery and yes, aubergine. With celery, it is the taste, with aubergine, it is the texture.
But in the attempt to live healthy and eat a wide range of vegetables and I decided to welcome the aubergine into my life. I still wouldn't go out and buy one, but I get a weekly organic delivery of seasonal vegetables and it seems that aubergines are always in season: at least there is always at least one aubergine in my box!
... and now? Well, I remember the times when I really didn't like kohlrabi: Kohlrabi-Erbsen-Sauce... OMG, one of my childhood traumas! Dice some kohlrabi, place it in a saucepan together with frozen peas and some water and boil them until the kolrabi is soggy and the peas totally shapeless, thicken with flour, spoon a plate, heap on some potatoes mash and serve to your children.

Years later my guinea pigs showed me that raw, crunchy kohlrabi can almost be a delight.
And luckily a friend once showed me how to make an aubergine dip. Put the whole aubergines under the grill until they collapse, spoon out the soft flesh, add feta cheese, garlic, olive oil and pepper and mix to a smooth paste. But to make it into a real delicacy, try to add some salty capers as well! Lovely on freshly baked sundried tomato bread; or spread the aubergine dip on tortillas, roll them up and voila...

No comments: